204 High Park Avenue. J.T. Jackson House. From north corner.
photographer John Huzil. Source Heritage Toronto Project
date acquired July 1995
High Park Avenue was once home to some of the wealthiest and most important families in the Junction. Its tree lined boulevard reflects the “City Beautiful” movement of the late nineteenth century. 204 High Park Avenue was one of many grand Junction houses designed by Ellis, and is noted for its mixture of stone and red brick masonry. This house was designed for James T. Jackson in 1890, an early Junction real estate agent who co-founded the Junction’s first newspaper in 1888. Since 1973 it has been the home of Holy Cross Priory, an Anglican monastery.
- circular tower and porch add interest to massing composition of the house
- material choices proclaim permanence and stability, reinforcing status of property
- architectural style and use of materials is consistent with the Romanesque Revival being used throughout the city in the late 1880’s and early 1890’s yet the only use of a round headed opening is in the upper portion of the third floor gables, possibly as an attic vent. All other windows have stone sills and lintels.
- decoration in the upper wall areas just below the roof, using a modest material like brick to give interest to what would otherwise be an area of blank wall
- decorative brick is wrapped around the corner tower to tie it into the main mass of the building