Police Station No. 9 and fire hall (top of tower missing), former
city hall of West Toronto Junction, west side of Keele St. south of Dundas,
Source: Baldwin Room, Toronto Reference Library Salmon Collection S1-854
‘date acquired’ circa 1987 print, April 18, 2001 copy neg from Annette Library.
The current fire hall replaces an earlier, Ellis and Connery-designed municipal building which served as the Junction’s primary fire hall, police station, and council offices. Ellis’ multi-purpose building was built in 1907, at a time when fire service still meant the use of horse-drawn vehicles. While James Ellis’ building may be gone, the bell was returned to this site in 2006.
- multipurpose building required more complex design solution
- 2 major masses: fire-hall; and municipal offices
- different architectural styles reflect different uses
- hose drying tower is central unifying element and main entrance
- Fire-hall is typical utilitarian commercial architecture seen on Dundas street from this era
- Municipal offices in the grander Romanesque style, favoured for public buildings, employing more ornament in the facade